Can anyone recap the 2000 election?

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by JoeyBoy718, Nov 7, 2020.

1. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

590 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    I was 14 and not interested at all in politics (still not really either). Can anyone recap what went down (with Florida) and compare it to the 2020 election? I've heard that the media was cheering Gore on while he challenged the results, but I also heard that the media prematurely declared Gore the winner. So I'm a little confused because those two things don't line up. When was Gore declared the winner? How long did it continue that they proclaimed him to be the winner? Why exactly were the results in Florida challenged? What was the reaction after they gave it to Bush?

2. JoeyBoy718

590 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    I just read up some of it on wikipedia. Looks like Gore was prematurely considered the winner on election night for a few hours and then Bush was declared the winner and then they retracted that too. What I did find interesting was that wikipedia says Bush was the first Republication president to winner without any electoral votes from California. Bush was also the last Republican to win the following cities - Charlotte, Indianapolis, DC and Austin.

Whether Trump wins or not, the Republican party really needs to transform in some kind of way because they're gonna have very little chance ever winning an election if these states and cities continue turning blue. It's only gonna become worse now that Georgia have officially become a swing state and Texas is turning purple. Democrats have California and NY on lock. Republicans can somewhat offset those states with Texas and Florida, but Florida occasionally goes blue and Texas is starting too. If Republicans go back to how they were before Trump, they really have no future as a major party.

3. JoeKing

JoeKing Well-Known Member

5,024 Messages
    2,812 Likes Received
    The only thing the Republicans didn't win this election is the presidency and that is still in dispute. The SCOTUS is a 5-3(not counting Roberts) conservative majority. Republicans have kept the Senate and gained seats in the House. I'd say the Republicans are still a very vital party even after Trump. Trump has been very good for the Republicans but they have a future after his presidency. Biden and the Dems are not going to be so loved that they keep the presidency beyond 2024.

4. Robbie

Robbie Well-Known Member

170 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    While I agree with you in general, I wouldn’t count those senate seats in Georgia yet for the GOP.
    I am very worried about how that will fall out come January.

JoeKing and cml750 like this.
  5. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

1,560 Messages
    1,610 Likes Received
    Republicans better have observers ready to go in the Atlanta area for those senate seats to keep the fraud limited as much as possible. They absolutely will steal the senate.

JoeKing likes this.
  6. JoeKing

5,024 Messages
    2,812 Likes Received
    At that time I was still in the military assigned to a QRF (Quick Response Force) from the Army's V Corps, 1st Infantry Division. The USS Cole had been attacked in October. In response, my unit was deployed to the Yemeni port of Aden to defend the Cole while its damage was assessed. The last thing on my mind at that time was a political election. I just remember voting absentee before I deployed and then being on edge for the next 180 days expecting war to begin at any moment. I can't help you.

7. JoeyBoy718

590 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    If you thought the riots were bad, wait until Trump wins again. Not to mention, it's getting colder and another wave of COVID will probably make us shutdown again. It's gonna be an interesting Christmas.

8. JoeKing

5,024 Messages
    2,812 Likes Received
    I hope you're right. I want to see how it looks enforcing that "Insurrection Act" when it's done Trump's way.

9. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

1,560 Messages
    1,610 Likes Received
    If there are riots (and we know there will be if Trump were to win) the blame can be laid at the feet of the media for creating a false perception that Biden won. There will also be plenty of blame to spread around to all the democRAT election officials that participated in blatant voter fraud.

10. JoeKing

5,024 Messages
    2,812 Likes Received
    The media are Dems are certainly complicit with the false narrative that Biden is the 46th president. But the general public should know enough about civics to know when an election is actually over. When votes are still being counted and lawsuits are still unresolved, it isn't over. Even when this POTUS election is over, the Senate runoff elections will determine the balance of power... not until Jan, 2021.