Are Google & Apple Monopolies?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussions' started by Pol, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Pol

Pol Well-Known Member

189 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I think the title is pretty self-descriptive -
    if not, why not?
    if so, should the government explore splitting them up?

Microsoft has a far more diversified business than either of these two, so I'm leaving them out of the conversation.

2. JoeKing

JoeKing Well-Known Member

3,347 Messages
    1,446 Likes Received
    You obviously don't know what it is to be a monopoly. Neither of these companies have cornered their respective markets... or maybe you just haven't heard of Bing or Android.

3. tabascocat

tabascocat Well-Known Member

846 Messages
    850 Likes Received
    That would be an oligopoly in which the market is shared by a few producers. Monsanto would be an example of a monopoly but I think that is lessening day by day. Another example would be an electric company if they are the only option you have but there can be one or two small ones trying to compete with them but are not big enough to last.

4. iceberg

iceberg Well-Known Member

3,411 Messages
    1,993 Likes Received
    because google and apple are dominate, there *is* no monopoly. the amount of things being built off android is astounding but don't think MS cares all that much - they get royalties. :)

JoeKing likes this.
  5. Pol

Pol Well-Known Member

189 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    There may be competition but holding 70%+ in any multi-billion dollar industry has got to raise some sort of antitrust concerns.

6. iceberg

iceberg Well-Known Member

3,411 Messages
    1,993 Likes Received
    why? they did it when MS was dominate. build a better way n people shift.

7. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

378 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    I don't believe they are monopolies because there is competition, even if it has to be made up of a consolidation of their competition such as the case of Google. Samsung is actually selling more phones than Apple world wide so hard to consider Apple a monopoly.

That said, what I do wish would happen is for there to be more oversight by federal agencies over any services that contain a lot of use personal information that is identifiable to specific individuals. This would include Facebook, Google, Apple, etc.

Many of those services have even added clauses to their Terms of Use that prevent any lawsuits from being filed against them as they force users into arbitration.

Of course, it would require a government agency that had the power to do something if the corporations they oversee violate the rules/laws in place rather than just reporting on them.

JoeKing likes this.