Tweeted Question for the pro-gun and anti-gun supporters out there

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by Reality, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

378 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    Let me say that I am not anti-gun or pro-gun. I do not own any guns, but I come from a family of hunters who loved their guns though they never owned any assault style weapons.

As you know, to drive a vehicle, you have to take two tests. One is a written test and one is an actual driving test. The reason for this is that vehicles are dangerous instruments that can both kill you and other innocent people if not operated safely.

So, my question is, would you consider supporting a system where to possess a gun, you must have a valid firearm license (not just application based, but test-based license) based on the type of firearm you are using? The test would involve three parts.

1) The first part would be a written test focused on the what you can and cannot do under the law with the type of firearm in which you are applying for a license.

2) The second part would be a shooting test that would require you to demonstrate you are capable of loading, shooting and securing the firearm.

3) The third part would be a psych test administered by an accredited psychiatrist or psychologist who was certified to administer the test.

We can debate how often you would have to repeat these tests later, but for now, let's say once every 10 years.

For the conservatives, if this meant the government and anti-gun control supporters would back off trying to create new restrictions, would you support something like this?

For the liberals, would this type of testing and re-testing resolve enough of your concerns to support something like this?

Jokerman likes this.
  2. CrownCowboy

CrownCowboy Member

24 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I am not inclined to support such measures, but not because I necessarily think it's a bad idea.

I am of the opinion, well it's really fact, that guns don't commit crimes or show malicious intent. People do.

There are over 300 million guns in circulation already within the United States. What would such tests do to meaningfully and drastically change the availability of the guns already in circulation and how would they stop criminals from gaining possession?

Sure, it could have an impact on purchasing guns legally, but I assume that if a person is already a convicted felon that they already would be disqualified from purchasing a firearm, or would these tests not take that into account?

If these tests meant that gun control activists would go away would I be for it? Absolutely!

TwoDeep3 likes this.
  3. Reality

378 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    That would be the main point, the actual part of the compromise between the sides. When I have asked pro-gun friends of mine why they are so completely against any type of gun control, they usually focus on how many bad people have guns and how they are afraid if they ever give in a little, then the anti-gun control supporters would continue demanding more. I've just always wondered if a happy medium could be reached or if the anti-gun control supporters will never be happy until all guns are removed from people and the pro-gun supporters will never be happy until the anti-gun control supporters give up trying to implement any additional restrictions.

4. tabascocat

tabascocat Well-Known Member

1,325 Messages
    1,428 Likes Received
    I say yes to #1 and 2, not sure about the third. My family is comprised of law enforcement to the military from a Navy SEAL to an FBI agent.....so I am very pro-gun. I do own a handgun and a shotgun but got rid of my rifle.....I do not hunt.

I was even in the Houston police academy back in the day and was trained properly. I think that is imperative to owning a gun and the laws that come with it....whichever state you live in.

AS Crown said, only us law-abiding citizens would follow it but those who own one, should know how to use one IMO.

5. CrownCowboy

CrownCowboy Member

24 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I don't think a medium will ever occur but your idea is a good one to ponder.

We all know that the anti gun crowd will always want more laws and restrictions, despite all the evidence proving that more laws and restrictions haven't and won't work. I'm biased though of course.

6. Reality

378 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    I'm not very optimistic either side will ever be happy with any changes. I wonder if it's now more about winning-vs-losing than actually listening and trying to find a workable solution.

7. LocimusPrime

LocimusPrime Active Member

41 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    I'm ok with those measures. Similar to concealed gun license requirements except for the psych test. If you are going to do a psych test, I'd make sure it's offerered in multiple languages so those who aren't fluent in English are not necessarily disqualified.

8. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins Well-Known Member

3,038 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    I wouldn't support it because it has about zero chance of passing constitutional muster. It's equivalent to a poll test and bearing arms is a right guaranteed by the 2nd amendment.

I would start by removing the blocks to federal funding for research and I would create a national registry to assist in the endeavour. I would then follow where the empirical evidence led.

Inferno2ss and MSW like this.
  9. MSW

MSW Moderator Staff Member

254 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Honest to god I don't know what to do about guns.

I recognize the 2nd amendment isn't going away, but at the same time things can't continue as they are.

Stasheroo and LocimusPrime like this.
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

3,038 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    Yo mang. I don't have permission to give likes.

11. TumblingDice

TumblingDice Well-Known Member

133 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Probably true. My own preference would be to live in a society similar to some of European countries with very strict gun laws.

12. Reality

378 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    Hmm .. that should not be the case. I will check into it.

FuzzyLumpkins likes this.
  13. Reality

378 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    You should definitely have the ability to LIKE posts. I just tested on a test account. You may have to post first before you can?

14. LocimusPrime

LocimusPrime Active Member

41 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    There should be a government fund/ grant for gun training. Free gun training at your local gun ranges for all citizens. Also, maybe no taxes on ammo, and instead of destroying seized guns, auction them off or give them away to people below the poverty level - they deserve the right to be protected too.

The Swiss have a high rate of gun ownership, but less gun violence. We should adopt their model if possible.

15. FuzzyLumpkins

3,038 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    Works now. Thanks. Was giving me a permissions popup before and I had already posted when I tried.

16. CrownCowboy

CrownCowboy Member

24 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Gun training is not the problem in my opinion when it comes to gun violence. Now don't get me wrong, ignorance is rampant when it comes to firearms. I love the made up term assault weapon. What is the exact definition of an assault weapon? Or a consensus on the term?

There isn't one. My Stag Center-Fire AR-15 with it's laser site scope and all of it's other accessories fires the same calibur as my 223 Remington with its wood stock. I reckon since the accessories on my AR look scary then it's an assault rifle. LOL

Anyway, I can make just of a strong of a case that gun restrictions HAS been part of the problem when it comes to gun violence. The vast majorities of mass shootings take place in gun free zones and that's not just a coincidence.

Administering these tests really isn't a big deal, but we all know that it wouldn't end there.

Mr Cowboy likes this.
  17. tabascocat

tabascocat Well-Known Member

1,325 Messages
    1,428 Likes Received
    Of course violence isn't related to gun training. Gun training is for those of us who obey the law. I don't know about you, but if I am in a situation where a terrorist or just a killer is shooting near me, I do not want that "good" guy trying to shoot him anywhere near me with his brand new, shiny gloc with zero training :cool:

Baleful likes this.
  18. MSW

254 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Agreed it's not a training issue.

And the 2nd amendment won't be repealed.

IMO the most realistic, yet still incredibly hard to achieve, is making gun-ownership incredibly difficult.

19. Reality

378 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    Chris Rock had the solution years ago .. Make bullets super expensive :D

If you've never seen that routine he did ...

:D

Jokerman likes this.
  20. MSW

254 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    Then the Colombians & Mexicans would have a new source of income!

Reality likes this.