when is diverse not diverse enough?

Discussion in 'General Politics' started by iceberg, Feb 21, 2018.

1. iceberg

iceberg Well-Known Member

3,324 Messages
    1,900 Likes Received
    ‘Black Panther,’ hailed for diversity, has no gay characters

i'm borderline tired of super hero movies. thor ragnarok was pretty amazing and loved it but many now are wash, rinse, repeat much like the comics. how many spiderman series do we need and from how many companies? i guess as long as they're selling great, run with it.

reviews so far have been positive, but i don't like mixing politics with entertainment so i'll wait for this to be on TV and likely watch it then away from the hype and thought police. but i do think it's pretty hilarious we've got a movie so diverse to show what the black community can do in how well they storm the box office that even now we must find "fault in victory" and oops, someone got left out. the LGBT is in an uproar now cause hey - we're here too!

hell, this alone means maybe i will go see it in the theater now. :)

you want your lifestyle in a movie, go make one. but i wish people would stop telling others they must include their thoughts, style and dreams into their own or they're **** as a person/people.

JoeKing likes this.
  2. JoeKing

JoeKing Well-Known Member

3,184 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    Can you image a movie featuring gay super heroes?

3. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

845 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    I heard they were making one of them gay. I am not 100% sure but I think it was Green Lantern. The PC bullcrap is getting ridiculous. If they want to make a gay superhero then fine make a new gay superhero but do not all of the sudden change one just to pacify the bat crap crazies of this world.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
    JoeKing likes this.
  4. Alex_P_Keaton

Alex_P_Keaton Well-Known Member

719 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    What about Al and Gary, the ambiguously Gay duo?

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  5. JoeKing

3,184 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    That's comedy not to be taken seriously. The LBGT community would probably want their superhero taken seriously. I don't know if that's possible.

6. Alex_P_Keaton

719 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    It would be after the first film featuring one. During the first film featuring an openly gay superhero, the focus of the film would be the gay relationship even if it’s not a major plot point.

cml750 likes this.
  7. zrinkill

zrinkill Well-Known Member

1,088 Messages
    779 Likes Received
  8. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

845 Messages
    770 Likes Received
    This, they would push the gay narrative to the detriment of the film. As a Christian, I do not believe in the lifestyle but I would not let it keep me from seeing a good action movie if the superhero vs. supervillian action is the focus of the movie. If the gay action is the focus of the movie then no thank you.

iceberg, Alex_P_Keaton and JoeKing like this.
  9. Alex_P_Keaton

719 Messages
    539 Likes Received
    If leftist narratives and talking points scared me away, I’d never see movies. When I encounter them in films (and I do often since I watch indie flicks), I kinda just nod my head and think, “that’s nice, dear.” I also have a lot of sympathy for people trying to make it in the entertainment industry, be it movies, television, or books. If you don’t engage in blatant leftist virtue signaling, they won’t give a second look.

10. Nova

Nova Well-Known Member

463 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    There was actually a character in the film, Okoye, who was primed to be written as a lesbian.

She was the bald sidekick whose combat abilities rivaled the titular Black Panther.

But I thought it was great that they didn't go with that worn out trope.

Usually when Hollywood writes a bad-ass female character with the respect of her male colleagues, they'll write her as a lesbian (or inversely, when they want to shoe-in a lesbian they'll make her a badass).

I thought it was stronger move to leave her a straight female supporting character who held her own.

11. JoeKing

3,184 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    According to HRC...

[​IMG]

...those blue areas are the only ones that represent diversity and looking forward... and aren't enough.

12. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

486 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Seattle and Portland are some of the whitest and richest cities in the country.